Settle The Gut Down and Then Settle Yourself Down
  • Post category:Pet
  • Post comments:0 Comments
  • Post author:
  • Post published:19/04/2021
  • Post last modified:19/04/2021



Sometimes I have a hard time paying attention and I give full credit to my over active brain for that.

It’s not that I’m not paying attention.

I am.

Well, at least I’m trying to pay attention.

But in serious situations my mind is going a mile a minute and not all the important information gets absorbed where it needs to get absorbed.

I eventually remember but it’s usually after the fact and way too late to make any difference.

My husband can’t stand this.

It drives him nuts and I don’t blame him because it would drive me insane if he did this.

This one of the reasons why I prefer that he comes with me in situations that I know will require my full attention so that when I get home I don’t have to explain to him what went down, fudge it up and then remember the whole story later.

Unfortunately, despite my pleading, my husband was not able to take off work and come with Leroy and I to the vet, so I knew I had to shape up and get my full attention in gear so I could report back to him and you with solid information.

I think I was pretty successful and just to be safe I’ll get it all out now before I forget.

I was a nervous wreck, as I normally am when something goes wrong with the dogs. Based on previous vet visits and Leroy’s symptoms I set myself up for the worse case scenario, which in some cases, is o.k.


We had a long wait in the waiting room which I think was a good things because it gave me time to settle down and set up a game plan to keep an open mind. My sister was also there for a bit which helped me settle down.

When we finally got into the exam room I was immediately annoyed when the vet came in because it was a totally different vet than we have been seeing for the last 4 months. This was my fault because when I made the appointment I didn’t specify which vet I wanted to see. After working in multi-vet practice for several years I should of known better.

What am I going to do about it now?

My open minded self told me that there was nothing I could about it now so to just go with it.

The vet was fine. She clearly had gone over Leroy’s chart before coming into the room and knew his history. I think she knew some of my history too just by the way she spoke to me, which was a good thing.

Before she gave Leroy his exam we talked extensively about what was going on with him and she asked me a lot of questions and I asked her a lot of questions.

I’m never afraid to ask questions to the vet. There’s never to many questions when it comes to my guys.

I want to be as informed as I possibly can.

So after we played 20 questions the vet gave Leroy an exam and then we talked some more.

Leroy checked out good on his exam and the edema is currently only on his left ear and a tiny bit on his right ear. His stomach sounds like it is working as it should, his heart is good and his temperature was normal.

Per his fecal check he has no signs of parasites.


So the vet and I talked a bit more and I was surprised at her treatment plan.

“We need to settle his gut down.” Is what she said.

What? No other tests? That’s it? ….is exactly what started to pop into my head.

“No, no, no! I need answers and I need them now!” is what I shouted in my head, but then I realized the vet was still talking and I needed to focus or I was going to miss something important..

“His gut has been through so much over the last few months. He’s eaten the rocks, he’s had a major intestinal surgery, he had a urinary tract infection, he had a bad reaction to the antibiotics, he was on steroids and he has had the edema.”

” We need to take a step back, stop throwing things at him and settle his gut down. I’m not saying that’s the end all be all to this, but I think that is what we should do now.”

“The edema is better. You got the diarrhea to stop. We are headed in the right direction.”


Very interesting.

I needed a few minutes for my mind to process these words.

I wasn’t sure if I liked them and I’m still not 100% sure but I’m going to go with it for now because when it’s put that way, hell yeah it makes sense.

Leroy’s body has been through so much over the past few months that maybe it’s just exhausted.

It’s been fighting off one thing after another with barley a break in between.

So it makes sense that we need to focus on trying to settle it down.

So here’s the game plan:

  • No steroids. He’s had enough and they did their job. If he swells up really bad again we will revisit the steroids again.
  • Benadryl. Technically it’s diphenhydramine but that’s way to long to type so we’ll just type Benadryl. We’re going to do this twice a day for at least 2 weeks. The vet feels he’s having a reaction to something and may settle it down. Of course, this could cause Leroy to turn into sleeping beauty, which it already has, so over the next 2 weeks you may see a lot of lazy pics of him. Sure it bums me out but if it works, we’ll deal with it for 2 weeks.
  • Probiotic. Let’s try and get that gut flowing with good bacteria. Leroy’s been on a probiotic before but with everything that’s been gong on and not knowing what was causing it I took him off it. He’ll be back on it for at least a month now.
  • Keep it simple. Which means nothing new will be added to Leroy’s diet for at least the next month, including rocks, dirt and goat shit.(long story) He’s currently getting boiled chicken and rice mixed in with his dog food and that works well for his stomach right now. We’re allowed to continue to give him coconut oil and the fruits and vegetables that he normally gets as a snack, but in moderation only since some fruits and vegetables can cause diarrhea in dogs and we want to steer clear of diarrhea.
  • Keep a close eye on him and watch for the edema to spread.

And that’s it. That’s the game plan.

Am I skeptical?


I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t.

But I’m a team player, so let’s do this. Let’s knock this out of the ballpark and move on to better things.

p.s. thank you for all the kind words that you left on Monday. I honestly felt everyone’s positive vibes being sent our way.

p.p.s. About 3 hours after I wrote this post, Leroy had blowout diarrhea again. I am trying not to freak out. We’re good, we’re good-says the tiny little voice in my head.




Leave a Reply